Recipe: Plant-Based Pasta Carbonara by Vega
Carbonara like you’ve never had before! Delicious, and super speedy to make, what more could you ask for?
Serves 4 – 15 mins prep
– 100g sliced shiitake mushrooms
– 1tbsp olive oil
– 1tbsp soy sauce or tamari
– 1tsp maple syrup
– 450g dried spaghetti or gluten-free option
– 150g cashew nuts
– 15g nutritional yeast
– 2 cloves garlic
– 2tbsp white wine vinegar
– 180ml water
– Dash of salt
– 75g frozen peas
– Handful chopped parsley
– Chilli flakes
1. Set a pan of water on the hop to boil for the pasta.
2. While it’s boiling, add the mushrooms, olive oil, soy sauce and maple syrup to a frying pan. Cook on a medium/low heat until browned then set aside.
3. Add the pasta to the boiling water, and cook until al dente (still firm when you bite into it)
4. While the pasta is cooking, blend together the cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic, white wine vinegar, water and salt until smooth. Note: add the water slowly until desired consistency is reached
5. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add back to the pan with the peas and sauce. Heat through until the peas are cooked and the sauce it hot.
6. Plate up the pasta, and top with the mushrooms, parsley and chilli flakes.
To explore the plant-based nutrition range, or discover more recipes like this Plant-Based Pasta Carbonara, head to the Vega website.