Recipe: Scrambled Tofu with Smoked Carrot
Before going vegan, my lazy weekend go-to breakfast would have been scrambled egg with smoked salmon, topped with fresh chives and a little black pepper. This delicious Scrambled Tofu with Smoked Carrot dish is one of my favourite vegan alternatives!
You can add sushi sheets to the carrot if you want for that authentic sea flavour, but I love them just as much without. Same goes for the ‘egg’. There’s a salt which has a sulphur taste to create an authentic egg flavour, but for me it doesn’t need it.
– 2 tsp olive oil
– 4 slices of bread
– 200g smoked tofu cut into cubes
– 4 carrots – cut into thin slices with a mandolin or spiraliser
– 1 tbsp vegan mayo
– 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
– 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
– 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
– 1 tbsp tamari sauce
– 2 tsp maple syrup
– 5 drops hickory smoke
– Chives, parsley or spring onion to garnish
– Salt and black pepper
– Squeeze of lemon
– 1 tsp capers
- Grill or toast 4 slices of bread
- Warm 1 tsp oil in a pan, add the cubes of tofu and as they warm over a low heat, use the back of a fork to mash them. Add a little milk to soften them if needed
- Add the mustard, nutritional yeast and turmeric to the pan and stir together well over a low heat for 2-3 minutes. The tofu won’t need long to cook. Add the mayo right at the end to give it a creamy texture, then stir in some chopped chives, spring onion or parsley
- Spoon the scramble onto the toast, rinse out the pan and place it back on the heat. Warm a tsp of olive oil, add the carrots and the tamari + maple syrup. They should sizzle nicely and soften
- Scoop the carrots onto the scrambled tofu, and serve seasoned with lemon juice, black pepper and fresh parsley + capers
For more skin-friendly recipes like this Scrambled Tofu with Smoked Carrot dish, head to Hanna’s website, and be sure to use the code BALANCE10 for your 10% discount on Hanna’s products.
Hanna Sillitoe began sharing her personal battle with skin health through an online food blog, which eventually led to her best-selling book Radiant – Recipes to Heal Skin from Within.