Sweet Potato Soup with Blackberry and Basil Sauce
Warming soup with a berry twist
- 150g of blackberries
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 400ml can coconut milk
- 500ml fresh vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped basil
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp of freshly chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Cut the sweet potato into large chunks. Melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and rub the sweet potato in the oil, roast in the oven for 40 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Finely chop the onion. Heat the remaining coconut oil and add the chopped onion, a big pinch of salt and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes, then add the coconut milk, roasted sweet potato and stock. Simmer for 10 minutes while you make the blackberry sauce.
- Place the blackberries, basil, lemon juice, honey, a pinch of salt and balsamic in a pot bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer. Crush the blackberries with the back of a spoon and cook until the sauce reduces by half and thickens.
- Blend the soup and top with the blackberry sauce and freshly chopped parsley.