Recipe: Gooey Vegan Brownies by Stephanie Elswood
Not satisfied with the abundance of crushed dates, seeds and nuts involved in plant-based treats, Steph Elswood set out to bring some old-school decadence back to dairy-free desserts. These delicious vegan brownies are just one of twenty-five dessert recipes in her latest ebook, Plant to Plate – Sweet Treats.
In the third instalment of Steph’s Plant to Plate series, you can expect crowd-pleasing favourites like Banoffee Pie and Sticky Toffee Pudding, as well as some deliciously niche combos like Banana Bread with Biscoff Frosting.
Made from basic and easily-sourced ingredients, these gooey vegan brownies are sure to be squabbled over!
– 140g dairy-free dark chocolate
– 170g self-raising flour
– 3 heaped tsp cacao powder
– 160g coconut sugar
– Sea salt
– 1 tsp vanilla essence
– 5 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
– 200ml coconut milk
– 100g dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180C gas mark 4.
- Grease and line a 20cm baking tray and leave to one side.
- Break the dark chocolate into pieces and place in a heat proof bowl then sit it over a pan of simmering water (ensure that the water is not touching the bowl.) Stir the chocolate until it is melted and then leave to one side.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour and cacao powder. Stir in the coconut sugar, salt and vanilla essence.
- Slowly add in the melted chocolate, melted coconut oil and coconut milk. Stir until well combined. Add the dark chocolate chips and a pinch of salt.
- Bake the brownies in the oven for 25-30 minutes until crisp on the outside but gooey in the middle.
- Leave to cool slightly before serving them warm with vegan ice-cream and berries.
For more scrumptious recipes like these vegan brownies, click here to purchase Plant to Plate – Sweet Treats by Stephanie Elswood. To keep up with what Steph’s up to, be sure to also follow her on Instagram.