Recipe: Simnel Swirl Cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Overnight soaking: 6 hours
Servings: 12 servings
You will need: 2 Litre/8.5 cup Bundt Tin
150g dried figs
150g dried apricots
100g dried goji berries
300g mix of raisins and sultanas
50g mixed peel
150ml fresh orange juice
2 tsp almond extract
1 zest of the whole orange
1 zest of a whole lemon
1 tbsp mixed spice
200g dairy-free spread
1 large ripe banana
100g buckwheat flour
100g ground almonds
70g gram flour
5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g ground almonds
70g xylitol powdered using a coffee grinder or similar
1. Begin by placing the dried fruit, mixed peel, almond extract, zest and orange juice into a large bowl,
mix together until the ingredients are coated in the orange juice, cover with a plate or clean tea towel
and leave to soak overnight or for at least 5 hours.
2. After soaking, stir through the mixed spice.
3. In a separate bowl, cream together the dairy-free spread, banana and xylitol until smooth, then add
this mixture to the fruit mix and stir until combined.
4. Next, add the flour, ground almonds, gram flour, water, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
5. Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and compress down with the back of a spoon. Cover with foil and
bake in a fan oven at 160 degrees C for 1 hour 15 mins.
6. After 1 hour and 15 mins of cooking time, remove the foil from the cake tin and cook for a further 15
mins until starting to brown on top.
7. Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool for 20 mins before turning it out on to a cooling
rack and leaving to cool completely.
1. Mix the ground almonds and xylitol together in a small bowl and gradually stir in the water until the
ingredients start to stick together.
2. Take 1 TBSP level measure of the mixture and, with clean hands, roll it together in your palms to form
a smooth ball shape. Set to one-side and continue with the remaining mixture until you have 12 equal-sized balls.
3. Place each ball on the cake before serving.