Oatmeal Soak Recipe for Soft and Nourished Hands
Oatmeal has both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. According to the Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, colloidal oatmeal became more widely available as a treatment for skin conditions back in the nineteen forties.
The reason oatmeal can offer hydration and relief is because it naturally contains starches and beta-glucan which help to retain water, thereby enhancing its moisturising abilities. It also contains a form of natural sugar called polysaccharides, which create a protective barrier to help prevent the skin from losing excess water. The simple action of soaking the skin in oatmeal is nourishing, soothing, and inflammation-relieving, it’s the reason you often see colloidal oatmeal incorporated in a variety of skin and hair care products.
Always patch test prior to soaking by applying some dissolved colloidal oatmeal to a small patch of skin, (the inside of your wrist or elbow works well). Rinse the preparation off after about 15 minutes and check for signs of a reaction. If there is no sign of redness or irritation, go ahead and make your hand soak.
- 100g rolled oats (you should look for a brand free from flavourings, chemicals, sugars
- and salts)
- 50ml almond, hemp seed or olive oil
- 5 drops of lavender or other favourite essential oil (optional)
- Grind the oats into a fine powder using a coffee grinder, blender, or food processor. If you don’t have one, you can add the whole oats to a small drawstring muslin bag instead and tie tightly.
- Fill a large mixing bowl with warm water, adding the powdered oats as you run the tap or pop the muslin bag into the water. Powdered oatmeal should quickly and easily dissolve, resulting in a bowl of milky warm water. Add your nourishing carrier oil and a few drops of essential oil (optional).
- Soak your hands completely in the water for ten minutes. Pat skin dry with a soft, clean towel and apply a natural moisturiser such as this one.
Hanna Sillitoe began sharing her personal battle with skin health through an online food blog, which eventually led to her best-selling book Radiant – Recipes to Heal Skin from Within. Hanna’s book has sold over 25,000 copies around the world and it’s the 28-day plan within this book that many of her online followers credit as having cured their skin complaints.
For 10% off products at hannasillitoe.com this month enter code BALANCE10 at checkout.
Skin Healing Expert: Your 5 pillar plan for calm, clear skin by Hanna Sillitoe will be published by Kyle Books, 14th May 2020, £19.99 and is available for pre-order now.