Try witchcraft for yourself: New moon ritual bath
The new moon, associated with new beginnings, gaining clarity and starting projects, is a beautiful time to set intentions and utilise the energy to manifest all of the things you’d like to bring into your life.
1. Grab your journal and write a list of what you’d like to happen in your life this month. It can be anything from a dress you’ve been eyeing up, more money or asking for guidance in your career or relationships. Set some intentions then focus on one of them you’d like to call in for this ritual.
2. Before you start, you want to tune in and get still. In witchcraft we call this opening the circle, which is basically creating a sacred space which is a protected container for making magic and signifying that we only want good vibes and energy present in the space we’re in.
You can do what feels comfortable for you, but try closing your eyes and visualising being protected by a big white bubble of energy around you. Ask the universe, your higher self, the moon, the elements of air, earth, water and fire or whatever your belief system is, to guide you and be present as you do this ritual. This ensures everything you do in this circle will be for the highest and greater good.
You can also do a smoke cleanse in the bathroom by burning a cinnamon stick, mugwort or rosemary bundles, or sustainably harvested Palo Santo.
View this post on Instagram
3. Dim the lights, light a white candle and run the bath. Then think about the intention you set for this ritual, as this will indicate what ingredients you will add to your bath.
If it’s related to self-love, love or relationships, then add a heart chakra-opening essential oil blend, which might include patchouli, ylang-ylang and rose and some dried petals. Follow this with either rose quartz or a malachite crystal.
If your intention is related to abundance, career or prosperity you can add a blend of bergamot, cinnamon and patchouli essential oils, with some dried peppermint and bay leaves, plus a big chunk of citrine, jade or aventurine crystals.
4. For general intentions, if you’re seeking clarity around what you’d like to manifest or to boost your intuition, you can use your favourite blend of essential oils or Himalayan salts and a clear quartz, amethyst or intuitively pull a crystal from your collection (or local crystal shop) as the crystal you need the most will reveal itself to you.
View this post on Instagram
5. Hop into the bath, close your eyes and think about your intention; you can repeat it out loud or just visualise yourself what it would be like to have this intention in your life. What will it add to your life? How will it make you feel? Ask the universe to support you in bringing this into your life.
6. Relax, take some deep breaths and enjoy the bath. Once you’re done, end the ritual by closing the circle. Close your eyes and say thank you to the elements, and anything else you called in at the beginning of this ritual.
Giselle La Pompe-Moore is the founder of Project Ajna and offers one-to-one rediscovery: soul sessions which incorporate reiki, tarot, self-care rituals and meditation and rediscovery: skin sessions that guide you towards acceptance around your skin and appearance.