Recipe: Tom Kerridge’s Miso Ramen
- 5 tbsp miso paste
- 1.5 litres water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2.5cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 12 shiitake mushrooms
- 225g smoked tofu, cut into 4 slices
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos
- 250g soba noodles
- 16 baby corn
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 baby pak choi
- 200g beansprouts
- 2 red chillies, finely sliced on an angle
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced on an angle
- 4 tbsp crispy seaweed
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
1. Place the miso, water, soy sauce, ginger and mushrooms in a large saucepan. Stir, then gently simmer for five minutes.
2. Place the smoked tofu in a bowl and soak on both sides in the liquid aminos.
3. Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the soba noodles until tender.
4. Add the baby corn to the broth and cook for four minutes. Lift the tofu out of its bowl, shaking off any excess liquid aminos; save this. Cook the tofu in oil on a high heat for two-three minutes each side until browned. Add the reserved aminos to the pan and let it reduce to a glaze. Remove from the heat.
5. As soon as the soba noodles are cooked, drain them in a colander and rinse under cold water, then divide between four serving bowls. Add the pak choi to the broth and remove from the heat.
6. Divide the pak choi, baby corn and beansprouts between the bowls. Ladle over the broth and add the tofu. Garnish with red chillies, spring onions, crispy seaweed and sesame seeds. Drizzle with sesame oil and serve immediately.