Recipe: La Soirée by Ping Pong
For the Cocktail
• 35ml Hendrick’s Gin
• 15ml St-Germain Elderflower Liqueur(alternatively, you can use elderflower cordial)
For the Pickle Juice
• 1 tbsp white mustard seeds
• 1 tsp coriander seeds
• 1 tsp celery seeds
• 1 cucumber, sliced lengthways into 2.5cm sticks or 2cm thick circles
• A few dashes of Tabasco
• 500ml water
• 500ml apple cider vinegar
• 1 tsp ground turmeric
• 2 tbsps salt
• 5 tbsps unrefined caster sugar
1. Place the mustard, coriander and celery seeds in a sterilised Kilner-type jar, then pack them as tightly as you can with the cucumbers.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large saucepan and heat slowly until everything has dissolved.
3. Using a funnel, pour the hot pickling juice into the jar. Make sure the juice covers the cucumbers, but leave about 1cm of room between the lid and the pickle liquor. Seal the jar, then leave to cool for a couple of hours. Once cooled, refrigerate.
4. The pickles will be ready to eat the next day, but they’re best left for two weeks to mellow out the acidity of the vinegar, making the pickle juice smoother to drink.
5. Pour your cocktail ingredients into a shaker and muddle until the juices release.
6. Top with ice, then seal and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
7. Strain into a Martini glass, garnish with a mint leaf… and enjoy!