Recipe: Kimchi Spiced Beetsauce
• 1 tsp sesame oil
• Extra Kimchi (to garnish)
For the Kimchi Juice
• 2 whole Chinese cabbages or white cabbages• 315g table salt
• 1 bunch spring onions
• 1 daikon (white radish. If you can’t find daikon, use 4–5 radishes)
• 1 medium carrot
• 18 garlic cloves
• 1⁄2 a large brown onion
• 5cm piece of ginger
• 60ml fish sauce. Alternatively, peel a ripe pineapple and blend the flesh into a purée for a vegan version
• 3 tbsps sweet rice our
• 750ml water
• 3 tbsps light brown sugar
1. Cut the cabbage into bite-size pieces and place in a large bowl. Cover with cold water, add the salt and set aside for about 90 minutes, turning every half hour to ensure even salting. Drain, then set aside.
2. While the cabbage is salting, combine the sweet rice our and water in a large saucepan over a medium heat to make a porridge. Stir for about five minutes, or until a smooth glutinous paste forms. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
3. While the porridge is cooling, slice the spring onions, daikon and carrot into thin batons. Blend the garlic, onion and ginger in a processor until it forms a paste.
4. Combine the cabbage, porridge, paste and sliced vegetables in a bowl and add the sh sauce and chilli flakes.
5. Mix well, transfer to a sterilised airtight container or glass jar, and leave to ferment for two weeks. Blitz the Kimchi in a blender and strain through a fine-mesh sieve.6 Build the ingredients over ice in a Highball glass, starting with the kimchi juice, then the beetroot juice, followed by the Sriracha, sesame oil and black pepper. Garnish with a piece of Kimchi.