Recipe: Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake
You might be vegan, but you can still have your cake and eat it! Using Flora Dairy Free means that this eggless, vegan chocolate cake recipe is full of dairy-free deliciousness.
Not sure how to make vegan chocolate cake? Baked with love, this recipe uses a combination of lemon juice, soya milk, melted Flora Dairy Free and golden syrup to act as the binding agent and create a moist and delicious sponge that can be topped with our indulgent chocolate icing. For a little twist, why not try swapping the chocolate filling in this simple vegan chocolate cake with a vegan cream alternative and fresh seasonal berries? Yum.
Prep Time 20min
Cook Time 40min
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 300ml soya milk
- 275g self-raising flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 175g caster sugar
- 150g Flora Dairy Free, melted
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 75g Flora Dairy Free
- 200g icing sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C fan, Gas mark 4.
- Add the lemon juice to the milk and set aside.
- Sieve together the flour, cocoa, caster sugar and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the soya milk, melted Flora, and golden syrup over the flour mixture and stir until it becomes a smooth batter.
- Halve the mixture between two 20cm greased and base lined sandwich tins and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Check to see if your vegan chocolate cake is cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre of each half. If it comes out clean, then it’s done! Once baked, leave the cakes in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out and cooling on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the icing by beating together all the icing ingredients until it reaches a smooth consistency
- When the cakes are completely cold, sandwich them together with half of the icing. Spread the remaining icing over the top of the cake and decorate to your taste, or just leave as it is.
- Finish with fresh berries and finely grated chocolate