Recipe: Matcha Coconut Ice Cream
Taken from my Brain Boost Diet Book, this is a really simple creamy ice cream and a delicious way to cram in anti-inflammatory matcha green tea. The addition of lemon juice helps balance the strong matcha flavour while using xylitol keeps the sugar content low.
Matcha Green tea is packed with protective antioxidants and contains L Theanine which can help promote focus and concentration.
- 1 x 400g can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 -3 tsp matcha green tea powder to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ tsp xantham gum (optional)
- 2tbsp coconut oil softened
- 1tbsp MCT oil (optional)
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 60g xylitol sugar alternative
Preparation time: 10 minutes plus freezing
- Simply place all the ingredients in a high-speed blender and process until smooth and creamy.
- Using an ice cream maker, churn the ice cream according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Either serve immediately or transfer to a freezer-proof container and freeze until needed.
- Alternatively, you can pour the mixture into a shallow freezer-proof container and freeze for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally during freezing until set.
- The Ice cream can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Remove from the freezer 20
- minutes before serving to allow it to soften slightly.
Note: Matcha is rich in catechins, a class of plant compounds in tea that act as antioxidants which can help protect against cell damage.
Christine Bailey is an award-winning functional nutritionist, chef and author who has over 14 health and recipe books to her name. To discover more of her recipes and buy her books visit christinebailey.co.uk