Recipe: Alexandra Dudley’s sad vegetable salad
• About 4 sad carrots, or any other root vegetable in your fridge
• 1 head of romaine lettuce
• 2 red onions
• 1 fennel bulb
• 1 bunch of spring onions
• 3 tbsp olive oil, coconut oil or butter, plus extra for greasing
• 2tbsp honey
• ½ tbsp mixed spice
• ½ tbsp ground cumin
• Thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated
• Small bunch of roughly chopped herbs. I like to use coriander
• A handful of nuts or seeds, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
2. Wash all the veg and peel any tough skin (keeping this for stock) as best you can. If you are using spring onions, peel off their outer tougher skin and trim off the hairy ends.
3. Trim the top part of the romaine and cut it into quarters. Roughly chop the
veg into even-sized pieces and arrange in a lightly greased roasting tin.
4. Combine the oil or butter with the honey, mixed spice, cumin and grated ginger, stirring to combine. Pour this over the vegetables and roast in the oven for about 30 minutes, tossing halfway through. The roots should be cooked through and starting to char.
5. Transfer your salad to a large serving plate and sprinkle over your herb of choice as well as a handful of toasted seeds or nuts.