Recipe: Nadiya Hussain’s Grapefruit and Chicken Stew
• 1kg skinless boneless chicken thighs, diced
• 1tsp ground turmeric
• 4tbsp olive oil, plus a little extra
• 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
• 1 small onion, finely diced
• 1tsp salt
• 2tsp ground cumin
• 1tsp chilli flakes
• 1 large grapefruit, juice and zest
• 500ml hot water
• 2tbsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp water
• A large handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
For the couscous
• 400g couscous
• 1tsp salt
• 30g unsalted butter
• 550ml boiling water
1. Put the chicken into a bowl. Add ½ tsp of turmeric and mix until covered. Place a large saucepan on a medium to high heat and add the oil and fry the chicken until brown around the edges. Put back into the bowl and set aside.
2. Add a little oil to the pan, season and cook the garlic and onion until the onion is soft. Tip in the cumin, chilli flakes and remaining ½ tsp of turmeric and cook for a few minutes.
3. Pour in the grapefruit juice, zest and browned chicken. Mix through, then add the hot water. Stir in the cornflour/water mixture, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
4. Place the couscous in a bowl and stir in the salt. Put the butter on top, pour in the boiling water until it reaches 1cm above the couscous. Cover, then set aside.
5. When the chicken stew is cooked, take it off the heat, add the parsley and serve with the couscous.