Recipe: Tom Aiken’s festive flourless chocolate cake
• 240g unsalted butter
• 240g 70% chocolate
• 83g cocoa powder
• 175g egg yolks
• 200g + 15g caster sugar
• 245g egg whites
1. Melt the butter and chocolate in a saucepan over a bain-marie. Remove from the heat and add the cocoa powder. Allow to cool.
2. Whisk the egg yolks with 200g of caster sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
3. Whisk egg whites with a further 15g caster sugar to a very soft meringue, taking care not to whisk it too dry.
4. Fold egg yolk mixture into the cooled chocolate mixture until marbled.
5. Fold the soft meringue into this mixture, in two batches. Be careful not to over mix.
6. Weigh 660g of batter into each tin. Bake at 160°C in a fan assisted oven for 45 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out almost dry.
7. Let the cakes cool completely before spreading each half evenly with 350g of the left-over batter. Then bake for 10 minutes.
8. Once out of the oven, allow the cakes to cool. When cooled, dust with cocoa powder and icing sugar.
Read more: Tom Aiken’s classic-but-better mince pie recipe