Recipe: Falafel with tomato and Cavolo Nero sauce
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- 200g pack shredded Cavolo Nero
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 2 tbsp plain flour (25g)
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 300ml vegetable stock
- To serve: cooked couscous
- Cook the cavolo nero in a large saucepan of boiling water for 3 minutes, drain. Reserve the saucepan.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion for 4-5 minutes until golden, tip half into the saucepan and set aside.
- Add the spices to the onion in the frying pan and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor with the chickpeas, 50g cooked Cavolo Nero and the flour. Season and blitz to give a coarse paste. Divide into 12 balls with damp hands and flatten slightly.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stock to the saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Stir in the remaining cavolo nero and cook for a further 3 minutes, season.
- Heat remaining oil in the empty frying pan and fry the falafels for 3 minutes each side or until golden.
- Serve the falafels with the tomato sauce and couscous.
Great served with pasta instead of couscous. Try adding chilli flakes to the falafels for an extra kick.
For a gluten-free version use gluten-free vegetable stock
For more recipes, head to www.discovergreatveg.co.uk