Recipe: Espresso Zabaglione cocktail
INGREDIENTS (Serves 5)
- 4 medium British Lion egg yolks
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 4 tbsp marsala
- 2 tsp espresso powder
- 1 level tbsp espresso powder
- 4 x 25ml shots coffee liqueur
- Coffee beans (to garnish)
1. Chill 4 – 6 martini glasses (depending on how large you want them). In a medium heatproof mixing bowl, use an electric hand whisk to combine the British Lion egg yolks with the caster sugar for a few minutes until pale and light.
2. Mix marsala and coffee powder in a small jug until dissolved, and slowly whisk this into the British Lion egg yolks until well combined.
3. Bring a medium pan (large enough to cup the base of the mixing bowl) a third filled with water to a gentle simmer. Place bowl on top and continue whisking (switch to a balloon whisk if you prefer) for 5-8 minutes until the mixture is thick, and the whisk leaves a trail that holds for 5 seconds once lifted.
4. Remove from the heat and divide the zabaglione between the chilled glasses. Chill for at least an hour, or cover and prepare up to a day ahead.
5. To serve, place coffee powder in a cocktail shaker and top with 3tbsp boiling water. Fill the shaker with ice and add coffee liqueur. Shake well for 15-20 seconds. Pour gently over the chilled zabaglione, making sure to shake out the creamy coffee foam.
6. Garnish with coffee beans and serve with a spoon.
For more delicious recipes from British Lion eggs click here.